Sunday, January 25, 2009

I Have a Dream...

The most significant event this week for me was Martin Luther King Day this past Monday. Usually I don't really think to much about it and I'm just glad to have the day off school. But, this year, the significance of the day really hit me. This is mainly because of what I did for my FHE activity. My FHE group went to a special candle lighting ceremony and walk through BYU Campus. Only three people, including me, showed up for FHE. So, we went to the bell tower at BYU and picked up a candle and then everybody helped each other in lighting the candles. Then, we walked with our freshly lit candles through BYU campus to the Wilkinson Center. It was very cold, but along the way people were holding up banners that had quotes from Martin Luther King. It was very cool.

At the end of this walk, we got rid of the candles and attended a ceremony celebrating Martin Luther King. It was very special and helped me to realize how significant Martin Luther was to our country. He helped get rid of the gross prejudices that had plagued this country for so long and made it possible for people of ALL races to share in the same opportunities. The speaker at the this ceremony made the point that there is still a ways to go to achieve perfect harmony between races, but Martin Luther King helped take us a step in the right direction. We need to not judge people by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. We are all God's children and should all treat each other as brothers and sisters because thats what we are.

I think a great manifestation of Martin Luther King's dream is our new president, Barack Obama. I'm optimistic about potential of what President Obama can achieve for our nation. Though I may not agree with all of his policies, I like how he is uniting people together in optimism and hope for our great nation. Here is a great quote by Neal Morse (my favorite musician) that really reflects how I feel about our new President. "I am praying for him and our country that we’ll operate with wisdom and caring and love. I hope everybody’s praying for that. We hope that things go well with his administration and for the country and for the world." I hope this as well.

I really don't have much else to talk about this week, but just know that I'm happy and hopeful about my future.

Music Recommendation:
? by Neal Morse

? is one of my favorite albums of all time and I was reminded of that fact this week. I recieved the latest Inner Circle CD from Neal Morse (his fan club) and it was a different mix of this album. It was really fun to listen to the small differences between the two versions and made me realize all over again what a brilliant masterpiece it is. I love every minute of it and urge you all to listen to it as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment