Monday, February 2, 2009

I'm Sick!

Well, I have hesitated to write in my blog this week because nothing of extreme interest really happened! It was a very average week. I enjoyed my classes. In my creative writing class I was able to learn about how to write interesting and sympathetic characters. I think it will really help me to create more substantial characters in my story. After the lecture, we split up into groups and my group went into a room and started discussing our pieces. Well, Joe, one of the members of our group, discovered that the room we were in was reserved in about 20 minutes for somebody else, so he left and tried to find a new room while we got started discussing our work.

Well, I volunteered to go first because Joe is very critical, and I liked the idea of not having him there when discussing my story so that he wouldn't tear it apart as usual. I was in heaven as my group complimented me on my story and said that I had great ideas. One group member even said that he felt my story could be marketable to readers of all ages. I was really happy. Then Joe came back and led us into a different room that wasn't reserved and he asked what we were talking about. We said that we were talking about my story, and he starts ripping into it, and I am brought back down to reality and am a little discouraged again. Well, after that group meeting, I came home and got on the computer and saw an e-mail from Sarah, a member of my group. She wrote some comments that she said she didn't have time to say in class. These comments basically argued against Joe and told me that she likes a lot of the things that Joe was tearing down about my story. So, it was a very positive e-mail and made me feel good again. I wrote her back and thanked her for her kind comments. So, I'm feeling optimistic again about my writing. I realize that constructive criticism is necessary in improving my work, but I feel Joe can be a little overly negative when he does it.

Besides that I caught a little cold over the weekend that has been bothering me. I didn't go to church yesterday and I'm not going to school or work today because of being sick. I'm trying to rest up so that I'm feeling good and ready tomorrow to start back up again. This is going to be a difficult week for me because I have a big test at the end of the week, and I have a couple papers to do. So, I'm taking advantage of my 'sick' day and I'm trying to get ahead on homework/studying so that I'm not stressed out by the end of the week. I'm confident that if I just work hard and don't procrastinate, I will come out of this week successful.

I also just found out on Saturday night that one of my friends, Daniel Dunford, is in the hospital. He was playing basketball when all of a sudden he collapsed. He wasn't able to get oxygen for 10 minutes and was rushed to the hospital where he has been in a coma ever since. He is doing better now though and is starting to move a little and respond to certain things, so there is a lot of hope that he'll make a full recovery, but it is still scary. It makes me realize just how precious life is and that I can't take it for granted because you never know when it'll be taken from you. This has made me want to do better in living my life to the fullest and not wasting the precious time I have here on Earth. So, I just leave you with that- value your life and make the most out of it so that you can look back in the next life and be proud of what you accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment